Eiyuden Chronicle Announced and soo much more! JRPG Weekly Update! Over-loaded Edition!Social Links:
JRPG Weekly Update Show Notes:
• This has been an amazing week for RPG fans!
o Strap yourself in because this ride is about to get wild!
• “Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes”
o Yoshitaka Murayama and Junko Kawano and Osamu Komuta collaborating on a new game for all platforms
Two of the key developers who were behind Suikoden from the start,
Plus a lead developer from Tactics and Tierkreis
Music will be by Motoi Sakuraba, from the Tales Series, Michiko Naruke from Wild ARMs and the legend Yasunori Mitsuda from Chrono series and Xenogears and more
o Announced as a spiritual successor to Suikoden
A Spiritual successor is essentially an unofficial sequel that takes place in a different universe,
• but this is unique because it involves key original developers
This will involve a key-system of growing your fortress town as you increase teammates with different skillsets, and 100 recruitable characters
o So far they have released a short teaser with some super impressive looking gameplay
Looks very reminiscent of Octopath but with more z-axis depth, this looks utterly amazing!
o This is my best-case scenario playing out for Suikoden,
I do not trust Konami to know how to make a good Suikoden
nor do I want to support them as a developer.
o And now the bad news:
The title will be crowd-funded
• Normally I don’t talk about kickstarters because I don’t want to get in the business of promoting them,
• but in this case where there are classic developers working together, I can’t help it!
• The kick starter starts today, and when the link goes up I’ll pin it in a comment below.
o In a crazy world this game feels like they just announced RPG Woodstock. I want this to succeed.
5:16 New Games & Ports
o Shin Megami Tensei V is alive and well and got a brand new trailer!
The game is slated to come out worldwide in 2021 for Nintendo Switch!
The trailer looks awesome, but doesn’t show off too much, but this is excellent news anyway
o In the same breath Atlus announced a new HD remaster for Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne!
• SMT V so far is Switch Exclusive, but Nocturne is apparently also coming to PlayStation 4
• Expected to release Spring of 2021
• Dragon Quest XI S, the definitive release of Dragon Quest XI released exclusively for Switch is finally coming to other platforms
o This will not be a free upgrade, this will not be DLC for owners of the original release versions.
o This will require a brand new purchase, and I highly highly doubt save files will transfer
o Also to top things off, this isn’t an expansion being ported to the older versions of the game, this is a new port from the Switch version over to console and PC. This will be a port of an enhanced port.
Personally I wouldn’t get too excited yet if this bothers you much, because this may result in decreased visual fidelity,
If I was ok with that, I’d have bought the Switch version already
Wait until you see reviews to find out if visuals do in fact take a hit
• It is of note though that Square Enix says the frame rate and resolution will be at least as good as they were on the PS4 release, so there’s that.
o Dragon Quest XI – S is though, for the record, addresses exactly the things I mentioned in my review of the original, link above, and likely perfects a nearly perfect title,
But personally, it’s the 130+ hour investment of playing it again that I can’t afford the most.
o Open-World Action RPG Earthlock 2 announced
Coming to next-gen and current-gen Sony and Microsoft consoles as well as PC, expected release within 2022
o The Outer Worlds is getting some DLC for it’s various platforms
It’ll be $15 and comes out September 9th
This is pretty awesome and all buuuut
o Obsidian also announced a game called Avowed, and it’s coming to Xbox Series X and Windows 10.
There was a listing for Xbox One, but that was apparently removed.
Obsidian has already shown us they can make a better Fallout than Bethesda, and now it looks like they’re about to show us if they can make a better Elder Scrolls. My money says yes.
It sucks Microsoft owns Obsidian now, but at least I can still play it on PC when it comes out.
• Speaking of, no idea when that’ll come out
o Fable was also announced for Xbox Series X and Windows 10
12:31 Release Date Updates:
• Atelier Ryza 2
• Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis announced
• Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin got a release date update from XSEED
15:11 Other News
• Yakuza: Like a Dragon, the turn-based RPG Yakuza title
• Final Fantasy VII Remake’s second chapter is now in full development
17:03 JRPG Weekly Forecast:
18:59 Question of the Week:
• What would be your dream team to put together any sort of spiritual successor for any dormant series?